Monday, July 27, 2020

DFI Week 1:Taking Care of Business

It was with much trepidation that I approached Day 1.

Eleven of my staff have already completed a DFI and I am one of a group of seven enrolled for Term 3. Although I love the idea of 9 days of professional learning aimed at improving my digital fluency and growing my understanding of the Manaiakalani pedagogy and kaupapa, I have a strong suspicion that I probably sit towards the remedial end of the group – so my involvement is definitely a case of ‘I am their leader, I must follow them quickly’!

The refresher on the Manaiakalani story was really worthwhile. I noted that the reasons that I chose to involve Rāwhiti School in the outreach programme – lack of engagement in learning and low levels of achievement in our low decile school – were the very same reasons that the programme was developed back in 2006. Some 14 years later we are still trying to motivate learners to engage with the curriculum, provide a model for 21st Century teaching and learning, and raise achievement outcomes. 

The new learnings came thick and fast - checking that my Chrome profile was as it should be, Google Groups as a tool, sorting my Google Docs and Google Drive, Voice to Text, and creating a document/poster that tells a story. 

While I was surprised at how much I did already know I certainly ended the day with plenty of new skills. The standouts for me that I can see having an impact on the way I work are:

  • Sorting out my Google Drive: I may have got quite carried away with the colour coding of folders on the day but can see that there are plenty of places to improve the naming and filing of my documents for more effective retrieval.
  • Google formatting tools: I was oblivious to a number of these and have determined to use the Table of Contents, Headings, and Titles to reformat my report to the Board of Trustees each month.

I have always admired others abilities in regards to creating attractive posters and flyers and I really enjoyed having the time to experiment and create something. 

It is actually this session that made me think the most. Earlier in the day during the session about using Google Groups, Dorothy made the comment that just because you can make a group does not necessarily mean that you should, and I am thinking that maybe the same applies to a lot of these skills. I loved making my poster and could have happily spent the rest of the afternoon titivating to my heart's content. However, in my role as principal,  am I the best person to be spending time formatting and creating posters at school? Perhaps what I do need to ensure is that the admin team, who I rely on for much of this type of thing, have an opportunity to upskill just as I am.


In the very first session for the day, when Dorothy was telling the Manaiakalani story, she mentioned that the teachers that were initially involved quite quickly reached a point where they were asking for more. And that was me at the end of Day 1. Knowing that all we have done so far is scratch the surface  I was left feeling like this ........ 



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post Liz, it is great that you have taken the opportunity to attend the online DFI - it think we are so often making sure that our staff are offered the opportunities that sometimes we forget that we need "feeding" as well. I think you raise a good point in questioning whether you are the best person for certain tasks e.g. creating the poster, and certainly one that I need to reflect on too. Great first post!! I am looking forward to reading more of your thoughts over the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz, thanks for this great reflection. It is really helpful feedback to our team as well as a record for you. Like Jo, I think that was a pertinent point about whether you are the person for the job. The reason we cajole people into eclectic tasks and activities in this programme is so that participants are aware of the possibilities. You may never have thought to ask your team to be a bit more creative with their docs if you hadn't seen the possibilities yourself first hand. I am certain that the reason some learners have less than inspiring learning design is because their teachers are unaware of the possibilities when planning for the use of digital tools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Liz,
    Thanks for sharing your learning and reflections so openly. I really like the phrase ‘I am their leader, I must follow them quickly’! Well done on putting yourself in the place of the learner. Not easy as a leader and yet so important.
    I'm looking forward to the journey with you over the 9 weeks.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Liz,

    It was really great to read your week 1 reflection. You have clearly enjoyed the day and are looking forward to the next one. Like many who have commented on your post I can see how the learning is helping you make connections for yourself and your staff. I look forward to your DFI journey.

    Ngā mihi,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

DFI#9 Exams and Endings

 DFI#9 Exams and Endings The above should be played at full volume for the duration of this blog post!  It sums up up the last 9 weeks of DF...